Friday, January 18, 2013

Ticker envy...


They only weigh 75kg and they think they're fat?  Pfft! Please!



You only have to spend a few minutes of the forums over at 12WBT to see there are a lot of different numbers showing up on tickers in every thread.

We're all human, so we can't help but to look, compare, and be relieved that higher number doesn't belong to us, or be envious of a smaller number, or even resentful of a number that we may think is not big enough to be on the program.  Human nature can be an ugly thing, and our Shoulder Angel sometimes has an up hill battle getting us to think compassionately, or to see things from another perspective.

Many moons ago, Mum used to have a dress shop.  She sold plus size fashion at affordable prices, and was reasonably successful.  It was while working at that shop that I came to understand something that has stayed with me ever since.  Except when I am throwing myself a pity party, then everyone is fair game...

What I realised was that when it comes to comparing ourselves and our weight with others, being fat/overweight/larger/plus size, whatever word we choose to use, it is an independently relative thing.

What I mean is this.  I am 5'4" and I weigh 161Kg.  I've been this way now for so long that I honestly cannot remember what it feels like to be any other way.  I remember what it LOOKS like, but not what it FEELS like.  I have grown used to the feeling of carrying an extra 100kg.  I have grown used to the feeling of being so big I can't bend down to tie my shoes or cut my toenails, of having a closet FULL of tents and stretchy pants.

Now imagine that your normal weight for your whole life was 55kg, and that for whatever reason, it shot up to say 75kg.  Now for any of us, no matter what weight we are, an extra 20kg... that's a lot.  That person calls themselves fat.  They feel fat.  Their clothes no longer fit.  They are fat.  They used to be a size 10 and now they are what, an 18?

But to me?  From my perspective?  They're perfect!  They are petite, slim, slender, thin, whatever word you wish to use.  They are not as big as me, so what would they possibly know about being fat?  That person is what I dream of at night when my head hits the pillow and the Sandman pays his nightly, if somewhat tardy, visit.  Note to self: speak to Sandman about the declining quality of his sand...  So in pops Voice, and Voice pretty much screams 'who the hell do they think they are?'  and 'what right have they got to complain?' and 'wait until they are this fat, and then they can call themselves fat'.  

As I said earlier, human nature can be an ugly thing.  I don't have the right to judge them on how fat I think they are or aren't, how fat or thin they feel, just as they don't have the right to judge me for my size or self-perception.

What I should be doing is embracing them, acknowledging their pain, and saying to them  I understand you.  Not indulging myself in ticker envy.


3 comments:

  1. Awwww Annie, I understand where you are coming from, and I used to feel like that too, but not any more. Everyone has their own cross to bear. And we don't know from where they come from either. A lot of people only put the current round on their ticker, it might be their fourth or fifth round. I have a friend who is about 2kg overweight, she feels really uncomfortable on her small frame but can't budge it. She was almost embarrassed to even admit it to me, but one day we were having a chat and she did. I would never judge her 2kg, just as she wouldn't judge my 40kg.

    So what I'm saying is it's our role, even from where we are at, to support and encourage everyone. It's such an individual journey. And you are making it with people, yes even the ones that are 60kg, that are willing you to succeed.

    Good luck and keep writing, I'm enjoying your blog.

    Carol
    www.finding-carol.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we finally figure out that 2kg to one person is nothing, but to someone else it may as well be 20kg, it changes your outlook on many,many things.

    Thanks for the support, it means a lot. I'm enjoying writing the blog! I don't know why I didn't do it sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked at someone on the forums today who was 52 and their goal weight was 50 and I thought the exact same thing about them that you would probably think about me (current 72 goal 60)...funny old world isn't it?

    ReplyDelete