Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Party Tricks...

Have you ever done something weird?

Just for shits 'n' gigs?


We all have odd little rituals that we perform, or behaviours that we indulge in at certain points of our day... well, I do anyway...

Like the how top of the butter/margerine has  to be level, how the tap on the kitchen sink must  be in the centre, how all the tins in my pantry have  to be facing the same way, I even try  to colour co-ordinate my pegs to the washing...  okay okay - I'll admit it's possible, only possible  mind you, that I may  be ever so slightly, just a teeny  bit OCD...





One of the things I do that's weird, is when I sit on the dunny I was  going to promise that's as weird as it gets, but I can't lie to you  I tuck my hands under my belly.  It has a tendency, which is hardly surprising given my size,  to overflow onto my lap.  I don't know why I do it, it's just something that has become a habit over the years.

It is also not surprising therefore, remembering that I'm now halfway through my 2nd round of 12WBT, to have been noticing that there is less belly to tuck my hands under.

So, there I sat.  broken hearted, paid one penny, and only... oops - wrong story...

Poking it...  squishy

Grabbing it...  it fits in my hands

Folding it...  wait... WHAT?!?!

FOLDING IT.

That's right, whilst sitting there... err... thinking, and mindlessly playing with my now much smaller belly, I actually folded it in half!

I was so shocked, I looked down at my brand new pseudo-flat tummy, leaned forward ever so slightly, and what the hell?!

HELLO OLD GIRL!
LONG TIME NO SEE!
HOW LONG HAS IT BEEN?
YOU HAVEN'T CHANGED A BIT!

It's been at least 20 years since I've seen Va-jayjay, I never even saw her in the mirror, my belly took care of that...plus I don't tend to look into mirrors a lot... it was like she had become this mythical creature that you read about in books.  The most surprising thing though, was that apart from being a little thin, she doesn't appear to have a single grey hair!

I don't know why, but it was a relief.

I know I'm getting older, I turned 48 this year, but when I think of myself I feel like I'm maybe  late 30's...  how is 48 even supposed to feel?  So it was a relief not to see a mass of grey hairs staring back at me.

You can colour the ones on your head, but what do you do with these ones??

So there you are.

My new party trick.

Folding my belly in half and waving hello to Va-jayjay.



What have you done that's weird?



2 comments:

  1. Annie, you are gorgeous. Totally. And the peg thing, not crazy at all, my memories of my mum was doing that all through my childhood, the whole matchy matchy colour thing.

    Hey and I'm 48 at the moment too, soon to turn 49 in a few months. And to be honest I say who wrote the book, I have no idea how I'm meant to behave and I sure as heck don't behave like I'm sure my mum did at 48.

    Okay so what have I done that's weird. When I was a teen I would pluck the hairs of my legs (below the knee) out with tweezers. Honestly. And I think I plucked so much during my teen years (probably quite the obsession), I actually have areas on the front of my shins that never get hair on them now.

    I'll slink away now that I've told the www how crazy weird I am.

    Carol
    www.finding-carol.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plucking knee hairs doesn't even rate on my weird-o-meter Carol, maybe you need to come see me for some lessons?

    ReplyDelete