Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The best laid plans of mice and men (or in this case women)...

Don't you hate getting all fired up for something only to have it fizzle at your feet just when it's supposed to kick off??

That's what's happened to me.

I'm sick.  I'm dying


I don't really get  sick.

I don't do  sick...

But it turns out that I have a chest infection.

It started on Saturday, and by Sunday night I had the fever, the chills, the copious sweating whilst laying still, the aches, the pains...  I could go on...


Needless to say there was no training for me yesterday - not happy Jan!

Who would ever have thought that I would be pissed about NOT going to training?  This time last year I was looking for excuses not to go, this year I think I'd go if I had a broken leg coz I could still lift weights.

I was so very excited to begin this round and so far I've barely been out of bed except to go to the doctor today and do some necessary shopping.

Occasionally I'll sit in the lounge room for a change of scenery...

The way I'm feeling right now, week 1 is going to be a complete write off, and I'll have to pick up the ball in week 2.  But I try to find a metaphorical strawberry in every day.

'What's good about being sick?' is probably the question rolling around in your head about now,  well, it's about giving them  the chance to look after me for a change, to do for me  what I normally do for them.  Because believe it or not, people actually like  to be given the opportunity to repay you for things you do for them.

Plus BM & DD spoil me...  and if DS were here, he'd spoil me too!  #raisedemright...

I really like it when they spoil me...


* A Zen Buddhist Story

A monk was being pursued by a ferocious tiger.

The monk raced to the edge of a cliff, glanced back, and saw the growling tiger about to spring. The monk spotted a vine dangling over the edge of the cliff. He grabbed it and began shinnying down the side of the cliff out of the clutches of the tiger.

The monk then looked down and saw a quarry of jagged rocks five hundred feet below. He looked up and saw the tiger poised atop the cliff with bared claws. Just then, two mice began to nibble at the vine.

What to do?

The monk saw a strawberry within arm’s reach, growing out of the face of the cliff.

He plucked it, ate it, and exclaimed, “Yum! That’s the best strawberry I’ve ever tasted in my entire life.”


If he had been preoccupied with the rock below (the future) or the tiger above (the past), he would have missed the strawberry in the present moment.

Don't be so caught up in the things that don't go to plan,
or in the day to day sameness of life,
that you miss a strawberry.

3 comments:

  1. Look after yourself Leanne! Nutrition is 80% so if you can keep that sorted not training won't be a complete disaster and you'll be able to smash week 2!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post. Nutrition is going to be the key this week. Rest and water are the best boost to your imune system. Hope you are better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Listen to your body and get yourself well. Remember to lose weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise. Nail the clean eating and you'll be right. One of the lasses from our group spent a whole round not exercising due to some surgery she had and she ate clean the whole time and still lost. So it can be done.

    Chicken soup for you Annie my friend. Gentle hugs.

    Carol
    www.finding-carol.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete