Tuesday, May 20, 2014

#100HappyDays - Day 36 was interesting...

The purpose of this challenge was made evident today, when the morning got off to a shaky start, and after my nail appointment, went downhill on rollerskates.


The battery in our key fob (for the new car that has keyless entry and push button start) has been playing up, so a new battery was ordered by the dealership.

This morning it was flat as a tack, I couldn't even get it to unlock the door.  So I used the secret key that's on the inside of the fob to unlock the door.  Great!  But there is NO delay on the alarm to give you time to put it into it's little charging port that is hidden in the centre console...

Cue screaming car alarm...

I get it to switch off and head down to have my nails done.  Yay!  Me time!

When I arrived at my appointment, it was to learn that the battery hadn't even charged enough to enable me to lock the door when I parked the car.

So I called the dealership and said I need it fixed ASAP, as now I cant even lock the car.  Chappie on the phone said the battery ordered over a week ago  wasn't there yet.

WTF!?  How long does it take to get a battery?

Then I talked to Narelle, who didn't  have a boy look, had found the battery, and told me to bring the car straight down after my appointment.

I settled down to enjoy my time with Jaimie, we always have a good chat, catching up on our favourite shows... I got her and her partner hooked on Game of Thrones, and I really want to talk about whats happening in it. but she's saving it all up to watch in one session - she is just gonna die there are so many bombshells...

I digress.

We share other things that are going on in our lives, we talk about our homes, our kids, our dogs.  It's always a really lovely morning.

I let her choose the colour for me today, and she chose a really natural and very beautiful French Polish.  I always change my mind about the colour at least 3 times before she gets to the point of applying it, so sometimes I just let her choose what colour she likes - I love them all.

When it was all done and I had a lovely fresh mani, I shot off down to the the dealership where they put the new battery in and all was sweet.

I get home to be told by BM that he has to go to hospital - false alarm and all is well just a misdiagnosis by the GP...  but we sat in the waiting room for 4 hours to find that out, and in the mean time I start to fret, and worry, and panic - BM doesn't get sick you see... He's the sort that has to be practically dying before he'll go to a doctor (scripts aside) and never even gets Man-Flu!

I wont go into detail about what was wrong, except to say it is an uncomfortable condition for anyone, but it wasn't as bad as the GP thought.  But better safe than sorry I suppose.

We left the hospital and went to get something to eat (BM having missed breaky and lunch - he was told he'd need surgery so he didn't eat) and the new car wouldn't start.

At all.

So there we are.

NEH Singleton 3.30pm
BM about to chew his left arm off, on the NEH in 3.30pm traffic - the same sort that wrote off my beloved Territory - with a car that won't start.

I call the dealership.  Tell them it won't start, and they tell me try everything I've already tried.

Then they say, bring it down to the dealership.  I say I can't - It won't start!

They say to call Hyundai Roadside Assist and ask for a tow to the dealership and in the mean time they'll organise us a loan car.

They said it's covered by the balance of the new car warranty.

I call Hyundai Roadside Assist.  They can't find the vehicle in their records.  I give them the VIN.  They find the vehicle.  In the archived records.  The cover has lapsed.  It lapsed in 2011.

I call the dealership.  They say bring it in.  I say I can't.  It won't start.

In the midst of all this going on, and me trying to keep my cool, BM was giving me instruction on how to start the car.  Pump the brakes a few times... Keep your foot on the pedal...  Put the fob in the charge port... take the fob out of the charge port...  Do this... Do that...  I keep turning everything off... He kept turning everything on...  Honestly?  Worse than a frickin kid!  He's always gotta fiddle with stuff!

Just as I am about to call the local smash repairer for a tow as well as the local undertaker for BM   and send the bill to the dealership - low and behold!  It started!

I take BM home (poor thing, he really shouldn't have been sitting...) and head down to the dealership for an argy bargy.

On the way down there I just kept telling myself  'It's not really that bad', your nails look great  'No one could have forseen what would happen', I love the hand cream Jaimie uses after my mani  'They were doing their best to help', new polish makes your hands look nice  'It's not their fault'...

When I got to the dealership I had calmed down quite a bit, and the staff were just lovely and very understanding, they had a loan car ready and waiting for me, and it's exactly like the car we had bought from them - just a different model - to keep while they wait for a new key fob to be ordered and sent.  They even offered me a beer, to calm my nerves... I asked if they had any bourbon...

Through it all, I just kept thinking of my #100happydays moment for the day.

It may seem superficial to some, having your nails done, and especially thinking about it the way I did, but it's something that's just for me... it isn't chocolate... and I like doing it.

The point is, it wouldn't have mattered what my happy moment was for the day, it would have got me through.  I went from a pressure cooker about to explode, to relaxed and calm, simply by reminding myself to focus on the good that had happened that morning - how it had made me feel, the laughter that Jaimie and I had shared, the exchange of stories...


Instead of letting a faulty key fob completely wreck my day.



No comments:

Post a Comment